The village of Grant was originally known as "Potter's Bush." It is located on Black Creek. Isaac Woodin was the first settler here in 1816, and in 1820 John Post came; through Post's influence a post office was obtained and named Postville. Alexander Booth settled nearby and in honor of his son the name of the place was changed to "Booth." After the assassination of President Lincoln, the present name was given in honor of General U. S. Grant.
A tavern was established here in 1820 by Walter Howard. Enoch Arnold kept a small store nearby. A tannery was built in 1821 by Zina and Almond Beecher. The Free Will Baptist Church was organized in 1856. Isaac Woodin was the first deacon. The Methodist Society of Grant was organized as early as 1860.