In the center of the township is the village of Imlaystown, situated on Doctor's creek, with a population of about one hundred and fifty souls. The village takes its name from Samuel Imlay, who purchased in 1727 fifty acres including the mill and thirty-nine acres covered by the mill pond, from Richard Salter, Jr. The mill property passed from the Imlay family to Benjamin Woodward, who opened a store and operated the mill until 1845, when he sold it to Edward T. Hendrickson, who conveyed it to Reuben Hendrickson. The post office was established in 1826, Benjamin Woodward postmaster. In 1833, Dr. George F. Fort was postmaster, and the village at that time contained twelve or fifteen dwellings, a grist and saw mill, tannery, tavern, store, wheelwright and smith shop.