Sea Girt Borough
Sea Girt Borough Hall is located at 321 Baltimore Boulevard, Sea Girt NJ 08750; phone: 732-449.9433. The borough was incorporated in 1879 from Wall Township.
Historic Sea Girt [†]
The majority of Sea Girt was once cultivated farmland. In 1875, the Sea Girt Improvement Company purchased the land and transformed the 1853 Stockton farm house into the Beach House by adding a new wing. Other hotels soon followed its example and, by 1882 Sea Girt was one of the "most exclusive resorts," particularly attractive to Philadelphians. 
In 1885,the community was chosen as the site for a different kind of camp, when the state leased land along Stockton Lake from the Sea Girt Land and Improvement Company.  five years later, it purchased the shore property between the growing resort of Manasquan for the state campgrounds.
The training complex was famous for a rifle range "unexcelled" by any other in the United States. The grounds included administration buildings, concrete kitchens, mess halls, and other facilities in 1929. Of special merit were the "convenient sidings over which the Pennsylvania Railroad, the Central Railroad of New jersey, and the New York and Long Branch Railroad operate."  Today, units of the National Guardsmen still train in this area, which is fenced off from residential neighborhoods.
Today representative 19th century hotels such as Park House, constructed in 1878, and Beacon House continue to accommodate guests. Down the street and across from the boardwalk, the Sea Girt lighthouse has been restored to its 1896 condition. The compact building with red trim adds to the Victorian flavor of the primarily residential neighborhood. More than either of the neighboring towns (Manasquan and Brielle), downtown Sea Girt preserves an exclusive atmosphere, with a "domestic aesthetic" emphasizing architectural uniformity through Colonial Revival facades on office buildings and shops alike, with a variety of businesses run out of houses.
† Alfred Holden, HABS Historian, Towns of Sea Girt, Manasquan, and Brielle, Historic American Buildings Survey, HABS NJ-1011, 1991.