Home | Whats New | Site Index | Search

Chesterfield Township

Burlington County, New Jersey

Chesterfield Town Hall is located at 300 Bordentown‑Chesterfield Road, Chesterfield NJ 08515.
Phone: 609‑298‑2311.

taylor-newbold house, moorestown

Photo: Taylor-Newbold House, ca. 1766 and 1850, Old York Road, Chesterfield Township, NJ Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. Photographed by User:Jerrye & Roy Klotz, M.D, (.own work), 2015, [cc-by-4.0 (creativecommons)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed September, 2020.

Neighborhoods

The Township of Chestervield [†] was settled in 1677 and the original charter of patent is dated January 10, 1712.

Originally, Chesterfield Township was bordered by the Delaware River (west), Crosswicks Creek (north), Upper Freehold Township (east) and Springfield and Mansfield Townships (south). In 1849 the land to the west was incorporated and became the borough of Bordentown. The industry at that time in the township included blacksmiths, wheelwrights, a brick and tile factory, a distillery, sawmills and flour mills. The main enterprise then was agriculture, and still is.

The village of Chesterfield (Recklesstown) is part of Chesterfield Township and is located 12 miles NE of Mount Holly, 5 miles SE of Bordentown and 11 miles from Trenton. The post office was established in Recklesstown in 1830 and closed in 1925. In 1834 it contained a tavern, a store and 10 or 12 dwellings. At that time Bordentown and Recklesstown were the only two post towns and only villages in the township. In 1677 John Wright immigrated from England and settled on land near Recklesstown and Peppler's Mill. He later became a member of the Assembly of West Jersey (1682) and was a signer of the "Concessions and Agreements of the Proprietors, Freeholders, and Inhabitants of the Province of West Jersey in America" which had been drafted bv the colonists in March, 1677. (The mill property was eventually bought by Joseph Reckless in 1712 and was called the "Recklesstown Mill".) It was located on a tributary of Black's Creek which borders the village on the south. The creek is found on an 1882 map , however the stream was named in a 1753 survey as the "Joseph Reckless Saw Mill Stream."

New Jersey Historic Sites Survey, #687, Historic Sites Office, Trenton, NJ, 1972, National Register of Historic Places, Washington, D.C., npgallery.nps.gov, accessed September, 2020.

Nearby Towns: Allentown Boro • Bordentown City • Bordentown Twp • Fieldsboro Boro • Hamilton Twp • Mansfield Twp • New Hanover Twp • North Hanover Twp • Robbinsville Twp • Springfield Twp •