Mays Landing is a census-designated-place within the boundaries of Hamilton Township, lying roughly in the center of the county. Mays Landing was established as the seat of government for Atlantic County in 1837; the Atlantic County courthouse was built in 1838.
Mays Landing was founded in 1760 by George May, a Philadelphia native, who exchanged local bog iron and timber for sale, rice, and indigo from the Carolinas. In 1939 a cotton mill was the sole industrial enterprise in town.
Nearby Towns: Hamilton Twp •