Warrenton Town Hall is located at 133 South Main Street, Warrenton, NC 27589.
Warrenton was decreed to be built as the seat of government when the county was organized in 1779.
It was laid out by surveyor William Christmas. An alleged copy of Christmas' plan shows the town following a regular grid plan, a vertically-aligned parallelogram with numbered lots from 1 to 162 in vertical rows, four blocks long. South of the town's center, running across the town, were the courthouse square, 2 blocks of public lots, and a spring lot. This basic arrangement has survived to the present, though expanded somewhat and with some additional streets and cut-through blocks.
The character of the town derives from its small size and surrounding, open countryside, the consistent scale of its buildings, the presence of the trees and open green spaces, and the existence of a remarkable group of distinctive mid-19th century buildings dating from the town's 1840-1860 boom period.
Gray's map of 1882 shows buildings were primarily antebellum as most of the construction of the town did not occur until after 1882.