A portion of Rocky Mount lies in Edgecombe County.
Rocky Mount as described in 1934.
Rocky Mount was incorporated as a town in 1867 and as a city in 1907. Its growth has been phenomenal. In 1890 the town was credited with 850 people. Ten years later, in 1900, the U.S. Census gave it a population of 2,937; in 1910, a population of 8,051; in 1920, 12,742, and in 1930, 21,412.
Located at the gateway point of one of the most prosperous sections of the state, and with a network of highways and railroad connections to strengthen its geographical assets, it is recognized as eastern North Carolina's foremost jobbing and distributing center.
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad maintains one of its largest shops here, and this is headquarters for the assistant general superintendent of the northern division of that road. Situated in the heart of a rich agricultural district, the city is logically a marketing center for farm products. In the average tobacco season, around 48 million pounds of bright-leaf tobacco are sold on the Rocky Mount market. Usually about 12,000 bales of cotton are sold on the market each year.
The industrial development is merged with the distribution of farm products. The city has 7 tobacco factories and redrying plants, a cotton mill, a silk mill, plush mill, mattress factory, 2 fertilizer factories, a cordage factory and several woodworking plants. There are at present around 4,500 industrial workers employed in the city, with a payroll of more than $5-million per year.
Nearby Towns: Dortches Town •