Henderson County administrative offices are located at 1 Historic Courthouse Square, Hendersonville, NC 28792; phone: 828-697-4809.
Early land grants date back to 1777, with most occurring after the Revolutionary War in 1783 and 1785. Early settlers included Revolutionary War Patriots, such as Andrew Miller, Matthew Maybin and Joseph Henry, along with many others. Some Tories, such as William Mills, also settled in the county in the 1780s. The county and county seat (Hendersonville) were named for Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court, Judge Leonard Henderson. Henderson County was created from old Buncombe and Rutherford counties. Hendersonville received its original charter in the 1840's with a population of several hundred people.