Photo: Cranford-Wannamaker House, ca. 1900, 1019 West Trinity Avenue, Durham, NC. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Photographed by user:Tpudlik (own work), 2013, [cc-by-3.0 (creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed March, 2014.
The Durham County Courthouse is located at 201 East Main Street, Durham, NC 27701; phone: 919-808-3000.
Durham County was formed in 1881 from parts of Orange and Wake Counties. It takes its name from the principal town and county seat, Durham, formerly, Durham Depot (or Durhamville Station), a station on the North Carolina Railroad. The station and city are named for the Durham family who lived in the area at that time.