The historic Hickory Mountain Townshiop lies due west of Pittsboro.
North Carolina Townships today remain only as place names of historical significance. There are no township governmental institutions.
Revisions to the State Constitution in 1868 changed the way counties were organized. The counties were divided into townships. Each township was to have a clerk and 2 Justices of the Peace, chosen by election. Each township also had an elected school board comprised of 3 members.
A subsequent constitutional change in 1877 dissolved the township governments. From then on, the names of townships continue to exist as informal, historical entities with no official governmental powers.