Newton City Hall is located at 401 North Main Avenue, Newton, NC 28658; phone: 828‑695‑4300.
Shortly after Catawba County was created in 1842, a number of property owners donated property near the center of the county for the construction of a courthouse and jail and the creation of the town of Newton. The donated lots were sold and proceeds went to fund construction of the new courthouse. Two courthouses preceded the present one which was built in 1924, a stone building with a Classical Revival edifice.
The town of Newton was incorporated in 1855 and was governed by a Board of Commissioners until 1872 when a mayor was appointed. The town experienced slow but steady growth during the 1840s and 1850s.
During the two decades after 1880 Newton experienced increasing prosperity. The development of industry, especially textile mills; the physical growth of the town; and the various improvements in public facilities caused this prosperity. The Newton Cotton Mills opened in 1883; Michael, Sherrill & Company produced tobacco products; and by 1885 Rhyne, Mehaffey and Company had opened the Newton Flouring Mill. By the 1890s the Newton Hosier Mill opened and the Newton Cotton Mills expanded dramatically.
Nearby Towns: Maiden Town •