Photo: Claxton Farm near Weaverville, Buncombe County, NC. Philip H. Krugler, photographer; copyright © 2013.
Weaverville Town Hall is located at 30 South Main Street, Weaverville, NC 28787.
The development of the town of Weaverville began in the Reems Creek Valley in north central Buncombe County in the nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. A post office known as Reems Creek was established here in 1850; however, in 1873-1874 the names of the post office and the growing settlement was changed to Weaverville to honor the Reverend Montraville Michael Weaver, the son of John Weaver who first settled on a farm in the Reems Creek Valley in the late eighteenth century. The Rev. Mr. Weaver and members of the large Weaver family were active in all aspects of the life of the community and are best remembered for their involvement in the establishment of Weaverville College (later Weaver College) here in 1872. The operation of the Methodist-affiliated Weaver College for six decades, until 1934 when it was merged to create Brevard College, was an important feature of community life and significant to the fortunes of the Weaverville Methodist Church.
John Weaver (1763-1830), the progenitor of the Weaver family in Buncombe County, and his wife Elizabeth Biffle/Biddle (d. 1843) came to the Reems Creek Valley sometime after the birth of their first son Jacob Weaver on 13 September 1786. John and Elizabeth Weaver are said to have had eleven children, ten of whom lived to be adults. The eldest and the youngest sons of this family rose to particular prominence. The Reverend Jacob Weaver (1786-1868) erected a two-story log and frame house near Weaverville which descended in his family; expanded and remodeled to accompany successive generations, it stands to the present. His many descendants, enumerated in a family genealogy entitled The Tribe of Jacob, have figured large and long in the history of Weaverville and upper Buncombe County. John Weaver's youngest son, Montraville Michael Weaver (1808-1882), was also a minister; however, his greater prominence was as an educator. The town of Weaverville was named in his honor.