Sedalia City Hall is located at 200 South Osage Avenue, Sedalia MO 65301.
Originally named Sedville, Sedalia was founded by General George R. Smith in 1857. Local history suggests that the townspeople changed the name from Sedville because "towns that end in -ville don't amount to anything." Smith bought land in early 1856 speculating that the prairie would be a good place for a railroad terminus. Many considered him "mad" when he filed a plat for the town in 1857. The first lots were sold in 1858. During the next three years, only three homes were built within the city limits. But in March of 1859, the Missouri Pacific Railroad established a depot in Sedalia, launching growth.
Even though many lots were sold through 1860, things remained quiet until the arrival of the first passenger train in January 1861. Sedalia was officially incorporated February 15, 1864.