The Pope County Courthouse is located at 130 East Minnesota Avenue, Glenwood, MN 56334; phone: 320-634-5727.
Photo: Daniel Pennie House, circa 1870s, located on COunty Highway 27, Villard vicinity. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Photographed by User:Bobak Ha'Eri (own work), 2013, [cc-3.0, via Wikimedia Commons, accessed March, 2023.
The territory comprising Pope County was acquired by the U.S. through the treaty at Traverse des Sioux in 1851. Two segments of the Middle (Plains) Red River Trail, passing through the extreme northwest corner of the county and through the county on a route roughly following present highway 55, carried some St. Cloud-Red River traffic through the county during the 1840s. and 1850s. General John Pope, for whom the county was named, was in the area in 1844 on an exploring expedition. The congressional