Centreville Town Hall is located at 101 Lawyer's Row, Centreville, MD 21617.
Centreville was established in 1782 when the Maryland General Assembly called for the removal of the county seat from Queenstown and construction of a new courthouse on a small parcel of land at or near the head of the Corsica River. This act laid the groundwork for the Town of Centreville. A few historic structures remain in Centreville that predate the Town itself. The County courthouse is the oldest acting and continuously used courthouse in the State of Maryland. Centreville is the county seat of Queen Anne's County and is the County's largest incorporated town with an estimated population of about 2,660 persons (2005). The Town is located at the head of navigation of the Corsica River, a tributary of the Chester River. Centreville is situated in the center of Queen Anne's County and is geographically positioned in the middle of Maryland's Eastern Shore.
Many of the older structures in the Town were constructed during the late 1800s and have "Victorian" style architecture with cornice and window types common to that period. The Town has evolved slowly over the years as a traditional small town with numerous public buildings, several public school facilities, a small central business district, quiet tree-lined residential neighborhoods, two Town parks, and limited commercial/industrial uses along the railroad spur and major roadways leading into Town. There are a wide variety of architectural styles throughout the Town, reflective of different periods when development occurred. Most of the incorporated Town is presently developed, though some active farmlands do still exist within Town limits. The Centreville Historic District was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. In addition, the following structures are individually listed on the National Register, including brief descriptions based on information from the Maryland Historic Trust: