Franklin City Hall is located at 117 Cedar Street, Franklin, KY 42134.
Beginnings Franklin, designated the county seat of Simpson County in 1819, is located near the intersection of U.S. 31-W and State Route 100. Downtown Franklin was established on a sixty-two acre site purchased from William Hudspeth in 1819.
In 1820, the town was incorporated and surveyed by John B. Smith, Sr. of South Carolina. Mr. Smith was a representative of this district in the Kentucky Legislature and was one of the most influential men of his day in Simpson County. The town was named in honor of the American statesman and inventor, Benjamin Franklin. That same year the courthouse square was laid out 297 feet square with a well on the northeast corner and a log courthouse built in the center.