Photo: Corydon Brown House, ca. 1878, Highway 3, near Dakota City, IA. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Photographed by User:Brandonrush (own work), 2011, [cc0-by-1.0 (creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/deed.en], via Wikimedia Commons, accessed December, 2013.
Dakota City Hall is located at 26 Fifth Street South, Dakota City, IA 50529.
The City of Dakota was first settled ca. 1854. A town was surveyed in 1855 and recorded in 1858. A post office had been established in 1856. A town hall was constructed in 1857 by Edward McKnight one of the first settlers. McKnight built a dam and mill on the Des Moines River in 1862. The City is named for the Dakota (Sioux) Indians.