Monroe City Hall is located at 215 North Broad Street, Monroe, GA 30655.
Originally called "Spring Place," the county seat for Walton County was set aside in 1820 just two years after the creation of the County. Renamed Monroe to honor the fifth president of the United States, James Monroe, the small community began to grow immediately into a thriving center of government and commerce. Monroe was spared by Sherman's troops during the Civil War and began to grow into a center for the agricultural community and as a location for textile manufacturing. [City of Monroe, Redevelopment Plan, www.monroega.us, accessed February, 2013]
Monroe as described in 1940 
Monroe, seat of Walton County, was incorporated in 1821. Approximately half of the population gains its livelihood from the town's two cotton mills.
The home of Henry D. McDaniel (McDaniel Street) is a large, red brick structure with classic portico. McDaniel was a captain in the Confederate army and a Governor of the State from 1883-1886. Adjoining the grounds of the McDaniel house is the Selman house, a notable example of Greek Revival architecture, built in the early 1800s by Walter Briscoe, a pioneer settler. The original front stoop has been replaced by a wide verandah extending across the front and along two sides. There is a small balcony above the main entrance, and the doorways on both stories are surmounted with beautiful fanlights. Overhanging mimosa and black locust trees border the winding walk that leads to the house.