Newnan City Hall is located at 25 LaGrange Street, Newnan, GA 30263.
Newnan, seat of Coweta County, is a city of handsome antebellum and modern houses and well-kept churches. After the formation of the county from Creek lands gained by the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1825, a small settlement named Bullsboro developed in 1827. Though this village was 2-1/2 miles to the northeast of this site, it was the beginning of the town. In 1828 the Baptists of Bullsboro acquired several acres within what are now the present boundaries of Newnan and built a church. Other sects followed; soon the whole village had been moved to the new site, and the settlement was named after General Daniel Newnan, veteran of the War of 1812. Newnan became so prosperous that by the 1850s planters built large, white dwellings and set up industrial plants.
Newnan has produced two distinguished governors for the State. Governor William Y. Atkinson (1894-1898) was the promoter of the first state college for women, Georgia Normal and Industrial College (changed in 1890 to Georgia State College for Women), at Milledgeville. Ellis G. Arnall was the liberal governor (1942-1946) during part of the Roosevelt administration and World War II.
One of the richest cities in America on a per-capita basis, Newnan is a textile and generally well-developed industrial city, and also a livestock center in a rich agricultural area of diversified farming.
Among the public buildings are: the Municipal Auditorium, the Carnegie Library, a city gymnasium, a well-staffed hospital and a Welfare Building devoted exclusively to the use of the county, in which are the offices of the county farm agency, the soil conservation engineer, the Farmers Home administrator, and the Production and Marketing Administration. On the southeast corner of the courthouse square is a marker indicating that the McIntosh Trail passed through Newnan.