Wellington Village Hall is located at 12300 Forest Hill Boulevard, Wellington, FL 33414.
In 1951, C. Oliver Wellington, a successful accountant in New York, made a decision to purchase investment property in South Florida. Following the recommendations of Arthur William "Bink" Glisson, several tracts of land were assembled and purchased. Mr. Wellington then hired Bink Glisson to oversee the property that was soon to become known as the Flying Cow (Charles Oliver Wellington) Ranch.
Because the land was frequently water-logged, in 1953 the State of Florida created the Acme Improvement District (Acme) to provide drainage for flood control and to make the land suitable for agricultural purposes. Parcels of land were either sold or leased to farmers for a period of time. There once were over 2,000 acres of strawberry fields in the area, laying claim to the world's largest patch of strawberries. In addition, it was discovered that citrus groves thrived in the area.
Prior to incorporation Acme served as the local government providing the majority of community services and facilities including water and sewer, storm water drainage, roadways, street lighting and parks and recreation facilities. Palm Beach County provided law enforcement, fire rescue, roadways and planning, zoning and building functions.
Mr. Wellington was the first Chairman of Acme and served until his death in 1959. Bink Glisson also served as the Acme's first employee and general manager. Carrying on as the District Chairman until he retired in 1984 was C. Oliver Wellington's son, Roger.
The Village of Wellington Charter was established by House Bill 1439 on May 11, 1995. Incorporation became effective on December 31, 1995 and operations commenced on March 28, 1996. The City now provides municipal services previously provided by the County (with the exception of fire rescue and library facilities) while Acme has become a dependent district of Wellington. Because of the breadth of services it already provided to residents, Acme formed the backbone of the newly incorporated municipality.