Originally called "the Sands," so named for its sandy soil, the West Settler's Historic District is the site of the first African-American settlement in Delray Beach established in 1894. African-Americans from northern and western Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina were the first non-native settlers in the Delray area pioneering a rich agricultural heritage. Dating back to 1905, many frame vernacular styles abound in the area as early settlers utilized both local materials and their own knowledge of construction to develop the built environment. High styles include Bungalow and Mission-Revival architecture popularized in the 1920s. West Settler's was deemed a historic district in the Local Register of Historic Places in 1997.
1st Street NW • 2nd Street NW • 3rd Avenue NW • 4th Avenue NW • 5th Avenue NW