Photo: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. It is also a contributing resource in the El Cid Historic District. Photographed by J. F. Brooks, 1967, Historic American Buildings Survey [HABS FL-181], memory.loc.gov, accessed October, 2013.
The Monroe County Courthouse is located at 302 Fleming Street, Key West, FL 33040; phone: 305-292-3423.
Monroe County was created in 1823 and named for the 5th U. S. President, James Monroe.
Monroe County includes the Mainland area and over 1,700 islands which lie along the Florida Straits, dividing the Atlantic Ocean to the east from the Gulf of Mexico to the west, and defining one edge of the Florida Bay. The mainland part of the County is made up of the Everglades National Park and the southern portion of Big Cypress National Preserve. The Florida Keys extend 233 miles southwestward in a gradual arc from Biscayne Bay to the Dry Tortugas in the Gulf of Mexico. 
The Florida Keys, that are within Monroe County, are a chain of islands located in Monroe County that are connected by 110 miles of US Highway 1, extending from Key Largo to Key West, representing the most southerly point of the continental United States. The surrounding water is designated an Outstanding Florida Water and includes the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, the second largest marine sanctuary in the United States.