Ashville City Hall is located at 70 Court Plaza, Asheville NC 28802.
Ashville is one of 2 county seats in St Clair County; the other is Pell City.
Ashville was originally called St. Clairsville but was renamed in honor of John Ash, the first white settler in the area. He arrived in the area in 1817 and was the county's first elected judge and also a state senator. His original log home still stands in the city's center. Philip Coleman originally owned the land on which the town stands, but he sold 30 acres of it to the five commissioners (one of whom was Ash) who had been appointed by the governor to establish and lay out a new county seat. The town was incorporated in 1822. The first courthouse, also a log structure, was built two years later. It was replaced in 1844 with the current courthouse building.