Montgomery County Courthouse and Administrative Offices are located at 101 South Lawrence Street, Montgomery, AL 36104; phone: 334‑832‑1210. See: Montgomery*nbsp;County Neighborhoods
Montgomery County was created by the Territorial Legislature in 1816, three years before Alabama was admitted to the Union. The original county was greatly reduced in size when parts of Elmore, Bullock and Crenshaw counties were taken from it.
The county was named for Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery, an attorney from Nashville who was killed in the War of 1812.
DeSoto entered the county at Coloomi in September, 1540, crossed to Toasi, one mile below the present City of Montgomery, and left at a point near the mouth of Pintala Creek. Even at this early date, there were towns already at these three points.