Converse County Wyoming
The Converse County Courthouse is located at 107 North 5th Street, Douglas, WY 82633; phone: 307-358-2741.
In 1888 when Converse County was created from parts of Albany and Laramie Counties there were only twenty-seven rural households who were attempting to "prove up" and acquire land under the Homestead Act. Included in this figure were those people who were homesteading in a large area that was eventually to split off and become Niobrara County. This was shortly to change as homesteading and sheep ranching began to assume importance for the growth of Douglas. Sheep began to be introduced in significant numbers in 1889. The expansion of the sheep business brought more people into the area to take advantage of economic opportunities. Between 1890 and 1900 the population of Douglas doubled. Part of this growth can also be attributed to the increase in homesteading in the area making Douglas the hub of an area with a radius of twenty to fifty miles.