Orange County Vermont
The Orange County Courthouse is located at 5 Court Street, Chelsea, VT 05038; phone: 802-685-4610.
Orange County was organized in 1781.
At the first session of the Vermont legislature, March, 1778, they divided the whole State into two counties, separated, rather indefinitely, by the range of the Green Mountains. The western division they called Bennington County and the eastern, Cumberland County. The legislature of 1781 divided this Cumberland County into three: namely, Windham, Windsor and Orange.
In the formation of Jefferson County, December 1, 1810, the name of which was changed to Washington County in 1814, the towns of Barre, Berlin, Northfield and Roxbury were cut off from Orange County and incorporated into the new county.
Orange County is bounded on the east by the Connecticut River and is located approximately midway (north and south) within the State. The population of the county in 1860 was approximately 25,500.