Rupert Town Hall is located at 187 East Street, West Rupert VT 05776; phone: 802-394-7728.
Rupert was chartered while still a part of New Hampshire, August 20, 1761. Settlers first took up permanent homes about 1767. In 1870 the village of Rupert was a post office as well as a station stop on the Rutland and Washington Railroad. It is located about 50 miles from Troy, New York. 
It is generally agreed that the town was named for Prince Rupert of the Rhine who was a prominent figure in the English Civil wars of the 17th century. One of the early settlers was Reuben Harmon, a metalsmith, who minted coins for the Republic of Vermont. Israel Smith, Vermont's Governor, settled in Rupert after graduating from Yale; it was while practicing law, here, that he began his political career.