banner search whats new site index home

Lamar County Texas

The Lamar County Courthouse is located at 119 North Main Street, Paris, TX 75460; phone: 903-737-2420.

Lamar County was organized in 1840 and named for Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar [1798-1859], a Georgia native who came to Texas about 1835. He served as the second president of the Republic of Texas, 1838-184.

Site of the First Angle-American Settlement in Lamar County

Legend tells of French and Spanish forts before the families of J. W. G. Pierson, Luke and John Roberts, and the Mason brothers settled here in 1820. Within a year, in the absence of the men, women, children and slaves were victims of an Indian raid. Five of the men pursued, but outnumbered, they too were killed. [Texas Historical Commission Marker, Lamar County, TX]

Information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed. • Privacy
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 215-295-6555 • 3968