Angelina County Texas
The Angelina County Courthouse is located at 215 East Lufkin Avenue, Lufkin, TX 75902; the Courthouse Annex is located at 606 East Lufkin Avenue, Lufkin, TX 75902; phone: 936-639-8776.
Angelina County, located in the Piney Woods of East Texas, was primarily rural and agricultural until the exploitation of timber resources throughout the area encompassed by East Texas, Northwest Louisiana, and Southern Arkansas began in the 1880s. The influx of population, with the associated industry, commerce, and transportation, had a dramatic and permanent impact upon the physical environment. The built urban environment of the two largest towns in Angelina County, Lufkin and Diboll, primarily reflect, therefore, the period from approximately 1880 to 1940. The residences of many of the business leaders were constructed utilizing exuberant styles of architecture reflecting the successful expansion of the timber and manufacturing businesses that still provide the economic base of the county.
The county seat of Angelina County has been at Marion (1847-54); Jonesville (1854-58); Homer (1858-92); and Lufkin (1892-present). The first two locations are now ghost towns, and Homer is a very small community. Other principal towns within the county include Diboll, Huntington, and Zavalla.