On contemporary maps, what was the village of Milford is noted by the name "Wila."
The village of Milford located on the banks of Buffalo Creek, two miles from Newport, on lands warranted to William Parkinson, in 1755, was laid out about 1814-1816. Just south of Milford, on the road leading from Carlisle to Sunbury, was an old tavern known as the "White Ball Tavern," which was kept by Philip Clouser in 1812. South of it, on Little Buffalo Creek, John Koch kept the "Blue Ball Tavern," which was a popular resort for shooting matches. During the Second War with Great Britain, a horn from the Blue Ball Tavern notified the White Ball Tavern that a mounted messenger of dispatch rider from Washington was passing, so that upon his arrival at the top of the ridge a fresh mount was saddled and waiting. The dispatches were then forwarded to Reider's ferry, where the ferry boat was in waiting and the courier soon on his way northward.