Johnsonville, a small village formerly known as Roxburg, founded by Gilbert Johnson, from which it derived its name, is situated in the southern portion of the township. The first log building was erected by John Strouss about 1818. A pottery was started here in 1830 by a Mr. Keller, and about 1832 a small frame tavern was erected by William Mann. Jacobus Creek rises about one mile west of the village, and, flowing east about 7 miles falls into the Delaware River at Portland. This creek, about 1870, furnished water power to 4 flour mills, 2 saw mills, 3 slate factories and a foundry. The village at that time contained a store and post office, a tavern, a carriage shop, a hub and spoke factory, a blacksmith shop, a cabinet shop, a pottery, and several dwellings.