Centerville was known as Brandy-Hook until about 1830, when its present name was adopted. It was at one time a post office and was called Stone Church, after an old stone church erected there in 1794, which dates the commencement of the village. Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church of Centerville was organized previous to 1774, as several baptisms are recorded in that year. On March 6, 1774, there were present, at preparatory services, 45 persons, therefore it would seem, judging from the number of communicants, that the congregation had been in existence for some time.
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized at Centerville, February 11, 1860. Reverend J. J. Burrell served as the first pastor.