The Village of Salfordville was originally situated on a main route between the "upper country" and Philadelphia, from which it was a distant thirty-five miles, and became an early settlement in Montgomery County. This early route was opened in June 1728 and locally passed through Skippack, Lederachsville, and Salfordville on the way to Sumneytown. Along the northeastern side of Old Skippack Road within the township milestones depicting the distances to Philadelphia may still be seen.
Salfordville was a bustling village in the 1700s and 1800s with a thriving market for livestock and farm goods. Surrounded by farms, the small village had two hotels, a one-room schoolhouse, a cigar factory, a blacksmith livery and a general store. Salfordville was also home to Chirstopher Dock who was an early German educator, artist, and historian. In fact, the Christopher Dock White Oak tree, estimated to be close to 300 years old, was destroyed by a storm and Upper Salford Township residents replanted a White Oak tree in its place with a bronze plaque to mark this historic landmark. Finally, genealogy records indicate an early resident, John Michel Weigel, was born here in 1689.