banner search whats new site index home


The opening of the Perkiomen Railroad is responsible for establishing three new villages in the township, viz.: Oaks, Arcola and Yerkes. The people in the vicinity asked that their station be named Oakland. The railroad company named it simply Oaks, as there was another station in the State of the name suggested. A post-office is now here of the same name. Arcola was first known as "Water-Tank", next as "Doe Run" Station, but lately named Arcola, after the large mills of Messrs. Wetherill & Co. There is a very small village here. "Yerkes" is so called after Mr. Isaac Yerkes, a respectable citizen, and the owner of the land on which the station was established. Quite a village is now growing up around it, with a post- office of the same name recently established. [1]

  1. Bean, Theodore W., History of Montgomery County Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Everts and Peck, 1884

Arcola Map

Street Names
Arcola Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 215-295-6555 • 103683 • Privacy