In 1807 the West Salem Baptist Church was organized, with a membership among some of the prominent pioneer families. About 1840 the first church was erected, near the center of the township. A grist mill had been built near the same point about 1829, and other enterprises resulted in a community center growing into a village, called Maysville. A post office was established there in February, 1852. It was discontinued in 1872. In recent years the name Meadows has been applied to this little settlement.