John Leech, the founder of Leech's Corners or Salem Village, a soldier in the war of 1812, a member of the state legislature, and for over thirty years a justice of the peace and otherwise prominent in the early affairs of Mercer County, settled at the site of Leech's Corners May, 1802. A post office called Salem was established at this cross-roads in March, 1832, William Leech being the first postmaster. The office was continued under this name until 1864, was discontinued awhile and in April, 1868, was re-established under the name of Leech's Corners. The office was abolished a few years ago. John Leech was the first merchant at this place, and a church, school, sawmill and grist mill and a few shops represented the substantial part of the town's growth.