Along the course later pursued by the Mercer-Butler turnpike were located at an early day the estates and homes of the Black family. Adam Black was the pioneer forefather of this family in Mercer county, and settled in Springfield township in 1805. Several members of this family were privates or officers in the war of 1812, and one or two were active in state politics. Of the present generation, several are well known in business and social life. The settlement near the north side of the township called Blacktown or Balm post office commemorated the family's prominence in this locality. Henry Black built the first house here. The post office of Balm was established in May, 1858, the first postmaster being Joseph Bogardus, and was discontinued when the rural delivery system was inaugurated. Harriet Black was the first teacher of the school in the village, about 1847, and the first store was opened by a Black.