The settlement called Milledgeville was officially begun in 1851, when the plat was surveyed. Once or two mills had been operated here some years before, and after the laying out of the village a congregation of the Christian denomination was organized (in 1852) and in 1858 the Milledgeville Presbyterian Church. The Deer Creek Methodist Church had been organized a little after 1840, and their house of worship was about a mile and a half from the village. The post office was established in August, 1839, under the name of Deer Creek, with William R. Cooper as postmaster. The name was changed to Milledgeville in 1852. Rural delivery brought about the abandonment of this office.