Safe Harbor as described in 1940 
Safe Harbor was formerly a settlement of Susquehanna River shad fishermen. It is near site of the Safe Harbor Hydroelectric Plant with a capacity of 510,000 horsepower. The long concrete dam has created a wide lake. Below the dam is a watery bog. Partial operation began in 1934. This plant, in conjunction with the Hollywood Plant down river, supplies electric power to an area embracing Baltimore, Lancaster and York.