The Fulton House (112-116 Lincoln Way East) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Text below was adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.  Adaptation copyright © 2009, The Gombach Group.
The original section of the Fulton House was constructed in 1793. This section comprises the 5 eastern bays of the present 8 bay building. The 1793 section is 2 1/2 stories high with an exposed basement on the east and south facades. It is constructed of native limestone laid in an irregular pattern with large quoins. In 1820 a 5 bay addition was added to the west gable. The present appearance thus presents an 8 bay facade, 74 feet long with doorways in the 3rd and 6th bays. Windows are 8 over 8 light double hung sash. Both doorways are topped by an 8 light rectangular transom. A variety of porches have decorated the front of the building over the years. In the last half of the 19th Century there was a full 2 story veranda with a projecting entrance patio. The present frame landing with two flights of steps is a restoration of the original arrangement. The roof is a medium pitch gable roof with 3 interior brick chimneys one at each gable end and one where the two sections are joined. Three late 19th Century gable roof dormers are located on the front slope of the roof. The rear slope has a single dormer in the 1793 section.
The west gable end has a doorway in the southern bay. A small frame landing leads to the entrance. The eastern gable wall has two windows on each floor and a very large vaulted arch at the basement level. The archway leads to a small basement room and served to channel water from a nearby spring into the house.
A 21 by 19 foot log kitchen wing is attached to the rear of the 1793 section. The date of construction is unknown. The stone foundation is exposed on the east side. A shed roof porch runs the full width of the west side. Logs are notched and filled with stone and mortar chinking. The north gable is covered with vertical siding.
The interior of the 1793 section of the Fulton House has a full width hall with two rooms leading off of it. Woodwork is almost all original including the fireplace mantles and chair rail. The interior of the 1820 addition was gutted by fire in 1945 and contains little of its interior appointments. The Fulton House is currently [in 1977] being restored by the Borough of McConnellsburg and the Fulton County Historical Society.
McConnellsburg was an important stop on the main east-west road. The town was established in 1786 by Daniel McConnell and by 1800 had approximately 50 houses and 4 taverns. The Fulton House is one of the oldest surviving inns in the town and was perhaps the most illustrious. In the course of its long history the hotel had as guests, John and Abigail Adams, William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, James Buchannan, and Eleanor Roosevelt.
The Fulton House is an excellent example of the inns which lined the early wagon roads and turnpikes. Architecturally it has several interesting features such as the large arch at the basement level, and the early log kitchen wing. The interiors of the 1793 section are largely original and are particularly noteworthy.
Lathrop, Elise. Early American Inns and Taverns, 1799.
History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties, Chicago: Waterman, Watkins and Company, 1884.