Ayr Town Hall is located at 5844 Cito Road, McConnellsburg PA 17233; phone: 717-485-4907.
Ayr is an original township, erected in Cumberland County in 1761. The original township covered an area almost the size of Rhode Island. After the erection of Bedford County in 1771, Ayr Township embraced all the territory of what is now Fulton County, and also that of Warren Township, Franklin County. The earliest permanent settler was James Black, who built a mill at Cove Gap in 1729, which probably was the first settlement west of the Allegheny Mountains. Population in 1940 was 1,495.