banner search whats new site index home

Greencastle Borough

Borough municipal offices are located at 60 North Washington Street, Greencastle PA 17225; phone 717-597-2047.

Greencastle was incorporated in 1805.

Beginnings [1]

Greencastle was laid out in 1782 by Colonel John Allison and named for his native town, a tiny seaport in County Donegal Ireland. It is a somnolent town of red brick and white paint, with a paved central square. Among its industrial plants are a textile mill, a machinery factory, and a cannery. The bulk of the population is of Scotch-Irish descent.

South of Greencastle is flat, rocky country devoted chiefly to sheep raising.

  1. Writers Project, Works Project Administration, Pennsylvania, A Guide to the Keystone State, 1940, Federal Works Agency, John M. Carmody, Administrator
**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 12594 • Privacy