Simon Cameron House and Bank
The Simon Cameron House and Bank (28 and 30 East Main Street) was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Portions of the content on this web page were adapted from a copy of the original nomination document.  Adaptation copyright © 2008, The Gombach Group.
The Simon Cameron House and Bank located at 28 and 30 East Main Street, Middletown, are two early nineteenth century structures forming a traditional business with an attached residence.
The house is a ca. 1833, two and one-half story, three bay brick building constructed in the typical half Georgian plan. On the east wall of the house are two large brick fireplace chimneys. At the rear of the house there is a single large brick chimney which services a large fireplace in the original basement kitchen. The windows in the first floor parlor are six over nine light. All other sash is six over six light. Most of the original glass is intact.
Adjoining the brick structure is a similar two and one-half story, three bay, rubble stone building which housed the Cameron Bank. This structure is also a half Georgian plan and was most likely constructed in the late eighteenth century. The window frames are wide and pegged in the early fashion and the first floor windows display brownstone lintels and keystones. An interior chimney stack is located on the west end. Also on the west end is a modern concrete block exterior chimney.
The interior of both structures have retained all the original six panel doors, moldings, and fireplace mantels. In the Cameron house the chair rail on the first and second floor is original except for several sections that were damaged and repaired.
Simon Cameron, Sr. was a politician, businessman, and partner in various industrial undertakings and banking ventures. Cameron played a major role in the control of the Republican party in Pennsylvania, served as Secretary of War to Abraham Lincoln, and was a United States Senator for twenty years.
In 1832, the Pennsylvania Legislature chartered a bank for the Village of Middletown. Site for the bank was the older stone structure located at 28 East Main Street, Middletown. Simon Cameron was the founder of the bank as well as the cashier. In 1833, Cameron built the structure adjoining the bank at 30 East Main Street. This building served as the private residence of Simon Cameron and his family from 1833 until 1855.
Cameron's children Margaret, Virginia, Simon Jr., and J. Donald Cameron were born in this house. J. Donald Cameron became Secretary of War to President Grant and served in the United States Senate for twenty years.
Architecturally, this structure represents a well preserved example of an early nineteenth century home and financial institution. The Cameron house is original throughout and offers a look at the lifestyle and business of one of Pennsylvania's most noted citizens.
Hutchinson, C. H., The Chronicles of Middletown, 1906.