Elk Grove is a hamlet located about a mile above Central on the west branch of Fishing Creek, and consisted of about a dozen dwellings, a store and the "Elk Grove Hotel," kept by J. W. Perrv, who conducted it for many years and built up a deserved reputation for service. The structure, a three-story frame, stood on the site of an old public house once kept by members of the Hess family, and one of the best appointed rural inns in this section of the State. This spot was long the stopping place for travelers over the Laporte turnpike. During the lumbering boom the village was a scene of some activity. The Pentecost Lumber Company built a railroad to connect with the Bloomsburg & Sullivan Road at Central, which passed through the town and for several miles further up the creek. The Pentecost Company was absorbed by the Central Pennsylvania Company and in 1912 the tracks were torn up, the little village relapsing into its former state of repose.