banner search whats new site index home


Beginnings [1]

One mile above Espy is the little village of Almedia, once called Afton. It contained some neat residences, the stores of C. M. Creveling Company, and Frank White, two churches, a schoolhouse, and the blacksmith shops of W. H. Englehart and William Sneidman.

Most of the old lime quarries here were operated by the Creveling family for fifty years, some of them coming into the hands of other parties at different periods. H. N. White had a quarry with two kilns which he was preparing to enlarge. Rhone Trescott operated the plants of the "Silver Spring Quarry Company" with nine kilns and a fine stone crusher for making road ballast. He had the only vein of galena, or lead ore, in Columbia County, but the production was small.

An industry along the Susquehanna River was that of coal dredging, after the high water had subsided. Most of the residents of the towns depended almost entirely on the anthracite taken from the river bed for their winter fuel. Some of the large steam dredges took from thirty to fifty tons a day from the river.

The Creveling Cemetery at Almedia was given to public use by members of that numerous family and was one of the handsomest and best kept burying grounds in Columbia County.

  1. Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties Pennsylvania, Vol. 1, J. H. Beers & Co., 1915.

Almedia Map

Street Names
1st Street • 2nd Street • 3rd Street • Bissets Lane • Carl Street • Central Avenue • Church Street • Columbia Boulevard • Old Berwick Road • Price Streert • Red Maple Lane • Rhodes Street • Ridge Street • Route 11 • Smith Street • Talanca Drive

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 215-295-6555 • 128333 • Privacy