banner search whats new site index home

New Garden


Although Mary Rowland bought land here as early as 1708, the first permanent colony in the present New Garden Township was founded in 1712, when a noted minister in the Society of Friends, John Lowden, settled there with several families of Friends from the county of Carlow, Ireland. The township and its principal village on Newark Road in the southeastern corner of Chester County, was named New Garden at Lowden's request in remembrance of their place of worship in Ireland. [1]

  1. Pinkowski, Edward. Chester County Place Names,, Sunshine Press, Philadelphia, 1962

New Garden Map

Street Names
New Garden Road • Newark Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 124493 • Privacy