banner search whats new site index home


Although Edwin Chandler harnessed the waters of White Clay Creek about three miles north of Avondale for a textile mill early in the nineteenth century, it was not until Martin Landenberger bought a factory that he expanded the village of Chandlerville to more than 1,000 inhabitants. What he did was divide the land around the factory into lots and offer them for sale. The post office, established in 1848, changed its name to Landenberg (Landenburgh) on September 20, 1869, in honor of the father of the building boom. The present spelling was adopted in 1904. [1]

  1. Pinkowski, Edward. Chester County Place Names,, Sunshine Press, Philadelphia, 1962

Landenberg Map

Street Names
Landenberg Road • Mercer Mill Road • Penn Green Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • • 215-295-6555 • 124492 • Privacy