"Taking much of its importance from a railroad, Mendenhall was first called Fairville when in 1853 the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central Railroad built a station four miles east of Kennett Square. About 1881 the name was changed to Mendenhall. The reason was that when the station agent, George M. Thompson received a commission to open a post office in the railroad station Fairville was not considered because it was repeated so often elsewhere. Thompson suggested the name of the most prominent family in the neighborhood. The Mendenhall post office was opened on March 10, 1881."