banner search whats new site index home

Centre Hill


Beginnings [1]

Centre Hill is a post-office and small settlement about a mile west of Potter's Mills, on the Bellefonte pike. It contains a store, school house, a blacksmith shop, and a number of dwellings. There is also a Presbyterian church located there, that was a veritable Mecca for the followers of that faith years ago, but Death, the Harvester, and Wealth, the Attractor, have thinned out the membership until but very few are left.

W. W. Royer, who lives at Centre Hill, is one of the best known men in Penn's Valley, where he has filled several public trusts. A member of the Democracy, his counsel is often sought on important occasions.

The storekeeper, Mr. Michael Strohm, is one of the oldest residents of this section. He has been postmaster for many years, and is held in high esteem by a large number of friends. He is the father of County Commissioner J. B. Strohm, of Bellefonte.

  1. Illingworth, Ralph W., A Passing Glance at Penn's Valley, Milton, PA: Milton Printing Co., 1896.

Centre Hill Map

Street Names
Old Fort Road • Sinking Creek Road

**Information is curated from a variety of sources and, while deemed reliable, is not guaranteed.
Copyright © 1997-2016 • The Gombach Group • www.gombach.com • 215-295-6555 • 122377 • Privacy