"From 1750 to 1800 this village was known as Sacketts Ford. The name originated from the ford over the creek which was used to reach Joseph Sackett's store and the Rush Valley Mill. The name was changed to Rush Valley for a short time when the post office was established in 1883. However, when the Northeast Pennsylvania Railroad came through Rushland, the railroad company named the station Kirkland in honor of the Kirk family who had donated a right-of-way through their property. The village finally became known as Rushland in 1891 because the name Kirkland was too easily confused with the Kirklyn station on the Chester branch of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad.
"Presently, the New Hope-Ivyland Rail line passes through the village of Rushland; however, the railroad station appears to be no longer in use. For its size, Rushland contains a considerable number of businesses, including a feed mill, quarry, formica manufacturer, lithographer, and post office. The businesses seem to generate a considerable amount of traffic, particularly the quarry which has numerous heavy trucks coming to and from the site." 
School District: Council Rock